#50shadesofTreadmill Ultra Plan

A while back, I wrote a training plan for a basic 100 mile week,  a few thousand of you have read it, and I've received some requests for an 'updated/what the heck am I running this winter' plan.  So here it is.  I'll break it down into what I am doing, and throw in a slightly less insane version.  My plan last year helped me shave almost 5 hours off of my goal 108K trail run, and hit the podium.  I'll link to it here.

So after a busy year of trail races, and my body being amply depleted, I took 3 days off of running while I moved to Sparwood, BC (yup, a whole three days, I'm a hedonist).  My October plan is about getting back to basics.  My runs will be a little more intense, no walking, and lots more slow running.  It's kind of like track work.
One last point in this.  I love my treadmill.  Like really love my treadmill.  (check out the hashtag #50shadesoftreadmill, its all me! hahaha).  I digress. I do enjoy the control of my runs though. I once heard that treadmills were used to keep inmates in from becoming idle.  Which leads to a whole new line of questions.  Which prison, and how do I get in??

 Ok...

Buckle up.

Here we go.

Promise.


I'll do this in a  one week format, but I basically do the same thing for 4 weeks (then I change it up).

I'm calling this the Boardwalk Empire week, as that is what I am binge watching on the treadmill currently.  I am convinced that if I only watch Netflix/Hulu/CraveTV/YouTube/Vimeo/MyOldNeighbourSunbathingInHisGinch while on the treadmill, I'll be Killian Jornet by the end of the winter.

Week 1
Monday- 10 mile run (Ladder between 7-8.2mph).
Tuesday- 11mile run (Ladder between 7-8mph, heavy on the 7)
Wednesday- 10 mile run (Ladder between 6.2-7.2mph)
Thursday- 10 mile run (Ladder between 6.8-7.6mph)
Friday- 20 mile run (Ladder between 6.2mph and 8.0mph)
Saturday- 7 mile run (Pace 7.0)
Sunday- Outdoor adventure in the mountains between 11-26miles.

*add elevation to flavour the runs to taste

This plan seems to get me between 85-90 miles in a week.  I repeat this plan four times, then pat myself on the back and eat a hero cookie #NoOneCaresWorkHarder.

Less Insane Week 1
Monday- 6 mile run (Ladder between 6-7.2mph)
Tuesday- 6.5mile run (Ladder between 6-7mph, heavy on the 6!  You may not be used to back to back runs, and may feel the need to put a gypsy curse on me, so take this easier)
Wednesday-6 mile run (Ladder between 5.2-6.2mph)
Thursday- 5 mile run (Ladder between 5-6mph).
Friday- 10 mile run (Ladder between 5-7mph)
Saturday- 3 mile run (take it easy, but no rest for the wicked!)
Sunday- Do something epic over 8 miles.  Climb a mountain, or if you live in the Prairies, run up and down that one bump again and again.

You may have never run 50 miles in a week before, and you may need to walk a lot.  All I can say, is that I've been there.  I've felt like my legs were made out of a combination of lead and pain.  It's all part of the process (plus, being that bragalicious runner at the office is so much easier when you can't get out of a chair without groaning in pain, eliciting the 'what happened to you?' from your envious coworkers, to which you can reply... I RAN 50 MILES THIS WEEK!).

Also, why in miles?

For the same reason they used to measure gas in 'Rods to a Hogs Head'.....no reason.

Also, what in the name of the good lord in a 'Ladder'??

A ladder is a segment in a treadmill run where you increase or decrease speed every minute or two.  Basically, its a way for you to not go insane on the mill.

That's all I've got to say about that (Forrest Gump Voice).

Crush Your Goals,

The Ever Sexy Canadian Ghost Runner

Find me on;
twitter @CanGhostRunner
Instagram canadianghostrunner
Strava Canadian Ghost Runner

Or be a cool cat and subscribe to my ramblings (blog).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shuswap Ultra

Iron Horse Ultra: A Battle against our future Bovine Overlords

Redstreak Mountain Scramble