April Training Plan



To recap 2017.

 January was about building mileage, and running numerous split runs to get to 100 miles/wk.

February was condensing those runs and adding much longer runs (weekly marathons).

March saw the elimination of split runs while keeping 100 mile/wk for a baseline.  Speed and cross training played prominently into March.

April is about elevation.  plain and simple. The motto is 'Get them hills'.  I will be less concerned with the 100 mile/wk upkeep, while aiming to spend a ridiculous amount of time running at inclines of greater than 8% (ideally 10-16%).

An ideal week is this;

Day 1- 16 mile run with 500ft gain (all the gain is over 3km).
Day 2- 12 mile trail with 2000ft gain (4.5k trail loop repeats)
Day 3-13.4 mile run with minimal gain
Day 4- 5hr+ run hike with 4000ft gain (4.5k trail loop)
Day 5- 13.4 mile run with minimal gain
Day 6- Hill grind for 5600ft (10-12% grade 2k hill repeats)
Day 7- 13.4 mile run with minimal gain

I am also planning 2 weekend trips to the Tumbler Ridge GeoPark to get some running and hiking in.  These will be 7-10 hour days with 26-35 miles covered, and 5000-10000ft gain.  It's beautiful, so I'll be taking a lot of pictures. On April 1st I made my first foray into the GeoPark this year, and the snow is still deep.  This will be excellent training!

I'll post a follow up with pictures of the Geo Park next weekend.  I hope everyone's training goes well.  T -32 days until my season opens.  As always, drop me a line here.
Find me on strava as Canadian Ghost Runner, or twitter @CanGhostRunner.

Keep Hammering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shuswap Ultra

Iron Horse Ultra: A Battle against our future Bovine Overlords

Redstreak Mountain Scramble