100 Mile Training Plan

The Following is a basic guide on how I manage to work full time, and run 100 miles/week.

My Usual work schedule is 7am-3:30pm (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat)
                                             10am-6:30pm (Tues)

Sunday:  I wake up at 4:30am, and run 7miles, slow pace (1 hour).  Then I get ready and walk to work (3km).  At 3:30pm, I get off work, walk home, and run another 7  miles, moderate pace   (55min).  I  should note, my early morning runs all include a 12 minute run, 3 minute walk set up.  This keeps my legs fresh, and is essentially 'getting in the miles'.  Total miles 14.

Monday: I repeat Sunday's run plan again.  Total miles 14.

Tuesday: I wake up at 6am, and run 14 miles solid (1 hour 50 minutes).  Then walk to work, and walk home.  Total miles 14.

Wednesday: I take it easy on Wednesdays.  Wake up at 4:30am and run 7 miles, slow pace.   Total miles 7.

Thursday:  Long run day.  One of three different runs. (1) Drop the hammer and get in miles fast and furious, minimum distance 21 miles. (2) Run two hours and get 15miles in, then rest an hour, run an hour, continue until exhausted.  distance 28-40 miles. (3) Run hard for 14 miles then switch to a run/walk ratio similar to an early morning run, minimum distance 26.2 miles.  Total miles 21-40.

Friday: I repeat Sunday's plan, but slow (6.2mi/hr pace). Total mile 14.

Saturday: Depends on how many miles I have to go.  It is either a slow run/ rest day, or a Sunday repeat.  Total miles 7-15.

Total miles 100-119

*I also cross train on a stationary bike, and do core work and yoga, but that is for another post.  This plan may also seem excessive, but keep in mind, I am training for ultra distances, and this is just my off season winter template (November-March).
any questions, drop me a line at jslykhuis@hotmail.com or look me up on twitter @CanGhostRunner

   

Comments

  1. Interesting read as to how you fit these miles in. Also impressive how you manage to keep the miles easy to prevent injury and ensure you hit the overall mileage you're after. Thanks for sharing😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I'll be adding in some other cross training as I get closer to May (season open for me), and be changing my running plan to include a lot more fast pack and hiking stuff (hills, hills, hills!). Good luck with your running as well. Cheers

      Delete
  2. Ok, so since I didn't see it anywhere.....why "Ghost Runner"?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shuswap Ultra

Iron Horse Ultra: A Battle against our future Bovine Overlords

Redstreak Mountain Scramble