Spring Training plan

Disclaimer: I Love training.  Probably more than I like racing.   The process fascinates me.  I love reading other peoples training plans, runs, and goals, so please keep posting them on Twitter, or even here! The following plan is a lot of mileage.  Enjoy.

If you read my 100 mile/week training plan, you would see that I use split runs 5 days a week in usually a 7 + 7 mile (am/pm) format.  This is to build the base for the next phase of training.  Winter is about building a foundation.  Spring is framing the house.

As Spring starts, I shift into longer split runs, aiming for;

 10 + 5 mile Monday to Wednesday
26.2 Mile on Thursday (single shot)
10 mile slow Friday
 15 mile slow Saturday
6-9 mile fast Sunday, usually adding in some sprints.

I have a 2.5mile trail loop a block from my house.  I use this for all my 10 mile runs.  It's flat, and icy, but I can average 12-14km/ hour on it.

We have a community forest that is about 2.7miles long with about 400ft of gain per lap.  The goal is to get the 5 miles out on that.

 Depending  on weather.  The big run is either on the treadmill, or a mix of track, trail, and treadmill.  I sweat a lot, so Can't run outside for much more than 2 hours until it breaks  well above freezing.

Epilogue: Just ran my first, 'mostly outside' marathon in training.  I'm not sure if I've gotten better at running, or better at pain management, as my legs hurt from km 5 to km 42.2 (my legs were sore from the 15 miles yesterday).  I put up a respectable 3:38, although I haven't trained speed much, and am mostly concerned with being able to keep going after the marathon distaince.


I'll leave you with a quote I'm obsessed with for some reason this week.  As always, #keephammering

Comments

  1. 3:38 marathon in the middle of high mileage training with next to no speedwork. Crazy good. What kind of effort level did that feel like for you? Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt terrible for 3 hours, and wanted every excuse to quit I could. But I was committed, so I just used my pain to feed me. It worked surprisingly well. Hows your running sans treadmill?

      Delete
    2. Able to get outside again so living the dream.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shuswap Ultra

Iron Horse Ultra: A Battle against our future Bovine Overlords

Redstreak Mountain Scramble